Jul 23, 2024  
2012 - 2013 Graduate Catalog 
2012 - 2013 Graduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Fees and Financial Information

Graduate Student Tuition and Fees 2012-2013

In-State Student per Semester

(Ed.S., M.A., M.B.A., M.F.A.in Studio Art, M.S., Psy. D.)

1-11 hours

$391 for each credit hour up to $4,301

12-14 hours

$4,685 regardless of enrollment in 12, 13 or 14 hours

15-18 hours*


Master of Occupational Therapy (M.O.T.)

$425 per credit hour

Master of Fine Arts in Design Thinking

$628 per credit hour

Doctor of Nursing Practice (D.N.P.)

$435 per credit hour

Doctor of Physical Therapy (D.P.T.)

$509 per credit hour

Virginia Educator’s Tuition Rate

$329 per credit hour
(1-11 credit hours per semester)

$3,942 per semester
(12-18 credit hours per semester)
(see eligibility guidelines in catalog)

Out-of-State Student per Semester

(Ed.S., M.A., M.B.A., M.F.A. in Studio Art, M.S., Psy. D.)

1-11 hours

$767 for each credit hour up to $8,437

12-14 hours

$9,192 regardless of enrollment in 12, 13 or 14 hours

15-18 hours*


Master of Occupational Therapy Program (M.O.T.)

$952 per credit hour

Master of Fine Arts in Design Thinking

$647 per credit hour

Doctor of Nursing Practice (D.N.P.)

$877 per credit hour

Doctor of Physical Therapy (D.P.T.)

$946 per credit hour

*Enrollment in 15 or more graduate credit hours requires permission of the dean of the Graduate College. Enrollment in more than 18 hours is charged on a per credit hour basis. A student may enroll in 15 graduate credit hours, but no more, without permission only if one or more of those credits involves a local field placement or laboratory course.

Graduate students are also eligible to purchase optional meal plans. For more information, contact the RU Express Office at (540) 831-5054 or (540) 831-6449.

Every effort is made not to change fees after they have been published; however, if this should become necessary, public notice will be given prior to the semester in which the increase goes into effect. Refer to the website for the most up-todate information: www.radford.edu.


Overload Fee

An overload fee will be charged for each additional hour over the full-time academic load. A full-class load at Radford is no more than 18 hours per semester. The overload fee is based on the semester-hour charges for part-time students.

Summer Session Fees

The cost for summer sessions will be based on the semester-hour charges for students. Room and board will be available.

Applied Music Fee

An applied music instruction fee is charged at the rate of $250 per credit per semester. Applied music fees may be waived for level system applied lessons with the approval of the dean of the College of Visual and Performing Arts for students majoring in music, and students registered in Department of Music ensembles and studying in a performance medium relevant to their ensemble participation. Fee waivers do not apply for MUSC 107, 169, 170, 470 and MUSC 670  .

Application Fee

A non-refundable application fee is required of each student (whether commuting or residential) who is applying for enrollment for the first time as an undergraduate student. The fee must be submitted with the completed formal application.

Parking Fee

Students may park motor vehicles and motorcycles in university parking lots if they have obtained a parking decal from the Parking Services Office located in Heth Hall. See “Parking”  for more details.

Thesis/Dissertation Binding Fee

Students may request the library to bind personal copies of thesis/dissertations at a nominal charge by using the Personal Thesis/Dissertation Binding Request available in the library. Each copy should be presented in its own envelope or box.

The university pays for binding the two Graduate College originals which will be maintained in McConnell Library. For more information, call (540) 831-6926 or (540) 831-5694.

Commencement Costs

All students participating in the hooding and commencement exercises must wear appropriate academic regalia, which is available through the campus bookstore. There is a charge for a cap, gown, tassel and hood. For more information contact the campus bookstore at (540) 831-5144 or (540) 831-5498.

Continuous Enrollment

For information regarding continuous enrollment, see here .

Responsibility for Payment of Tuition and Fees

Payment of tuition, fees and other charges owed to Radford University is the responsibility of the student. Billing statements will be emailed to the student at their RU email address given to them by the university.

Unpaid Tuition, Fees or Fines

Failure to pay tuition and fees could result in administrative withdrawal from the university. In addition, the student’s signature on the Application for Admission constitutes an agreement to pay 25 percent attorney’s fees, late fees, interest, and other reasonable collection costs necessary for the collection of any amount not paid when due. The university reports past due accounts to a credit-reporting bureau.

Alternative Financing

Virginia Educator’s Reduced Tuition Rate

Full-time Virginia educators (K-12) are eligible to apply for a reduced tuition rate for Radford University courses offered on and off campus. Educators (teachers, administrators, supervisors, etc.) can be enrolled for a graduate degree, additional endorsements or for re-licensure. Radford University has implemented this policy as recognition of the importance for Virginia educators to enhance their professional knowledge and skills. The reduced rate in 2010-2011 is $295 per semester hour. An application for the Virginia Educator’s Reduced Tuition rate needs to be completed only once annually and is effective for both the academic year and the following summer session. The following eligibility guidelines apply:

  1. A baccalaureate degree is required for kindergarten through grade 12 public and private school teachers, counselors, administrators, supervisors, librarians and coaches. Admission to the Radford University Graduate College as a matriculated or non-degree student is required.
  2. Eligible personnel must be full-time contractual employees of a public school division or private school within the Commonwealth of Virginia.
  3. Individuals on official leave from their assignments are eligible for reduced tuition.
  4. There is no restriction on the number of hours that can be taken.
  5. Courses for which educators request reduced tuition must be for professional development, not for planned career changes outside of education.

For more information or to receive application forms, please call the Graduate College at (540) 831-5431 or go to the online form at http://gradcollege.asp.radford.edu/admissions.html.

Nelnet Automatic Payment Plan

In a continuing effort to assist with the payment of educational expenses, Radford University offers the AMPP Monthly Payment Plan as an alternative to standard payment arrangements.

Simple steps to enroll in the Payment Plan:

  • Have student login to the MyRU portal.
  • Click the My Accounts tab at the top.
  • In the center of the page under Student Accounts, click on Make a Payment by monthly payments.
  • You will enter the QuikPay site where you will need to click “Make Payment” on the left side of the page.
  • Click on “Payment Plan” to enroll in the E-Cashier Automatic Payment Plan (a new window will open).

Senior Citizens Higher Education Act of 1974

The Commonwealth of Virginia allows senior citizens who meet certain requirements to take courses at state colleges or universities free-of-charge. To be eligible, persons must have reached 60 years of age before the beginning of the semester in which they wish to enroll and must have had legal domicile in Virginia for one year prior to the semester in which they plan to enroll.

Senior citizens may register for and enroll in courses as full-time or parttime students for academic credit if their federal taxable income does not exceed $15,000 for the year preceding the year in which enrollment is sought. Senior citizens may register for and audit courses for academic credit regardless of their federal taxable income. In all cases, senior citizens are entitled to register for courses only after all tuition-paying students have been accommodated. Applications are available in the Office of Graduate and Professional Studies and the Admissions Office.

Virginia War/Public Service Orphans Education Program

(Section 23-7.1, Code of Virginia) provides for tuition-free educational benefits at any state-supported college or university for children of permanently and totally disabled veterans or for children orphaned by an act of war. Both tuition and fees are covered by this program. Eligibility is determined by the Director of the Division of War Veterans Claims upon submission of an application. To be eligible for assistance, the applicant’s parent must have been a resident of Virginia upon entry into the service; the applicant’s parent must have been a resident of Virginia for at least 10 consecutive years prior to the date of the application; the applicant must be between 16-25 years of age; and the applicant must verify admission to a state college or university. Eligible applicants are entitled to a maximum of 48 months of tuition assistance and must be progressing toward a clearly defined educational objective.

In addition, an amendment to Section 23-7.1 now allows for tuition-free educational benefits for orphans and spouses of certain law enforcement officers, correctional and jail personnel, sheriffs, deputy sheriffs, fire fighters, members of rescue squads and alcoholic beverage control agents who have been killed in the line of duty while serving or living in the Commonwealth of Virginia.

Eligibility for this benefit is determined by the chief administrative officer of the Alcoholic Beverage Control Board, emergency medical services agency, law-enforcement agency, Superintendent of the State Police or other appropriate agency.

If this is a first-time enrollment, contact the VA Office in Roanoke.

Refund of Charges

It is the university’s policy to hold the enrolled student liable for charges in-curred; therefore, refund checks will be issued in the name of the student.

Withdrawal from One or More But Not All Courses

A student who withdraws from a class by the census date will be credited the difference in tuition and fees for the reduced number of credit hours, if any. After the census date, there will be no reduction.

Withdrawal from the University
(All Courses)

Fall and Spring Tuition and Fees: Students who withdraw from the university through the census date will not be charged any tuition and fees. For fall and spring semesters only, students who withdraw from all courses after the
census date will be charged a percentage of the applicable tuition and fees based on the effective date of the withdrawal as recorded by the Office of the Registrar and the number of weeks past the census date. The census date is specified in the academic calendar for each semester. The proration of fees does not apply to certain fees including matriculation, lab, bowling, music and late fees. The schedule for allocation of tuition and fees between amounts charged and amounts credited is listed below. This schedule is subject to change. 

Weeks Past Percent Percent
Census Date Charged Credited
1 20% 80%
2 40% 60%
3 50% 50%
4 60% 40%
5 100% 0%

No credit will be granted after the census date for partial withdrawals, i.e. dropping individual courses. Any refunds owed to the student as a result of withdrawal will first be offset against any other amounts owed to the university. Students who receive financial aid and withdraw prior to the completion of 61 percent of the enrollment period must repay Title IV funds (i.e. PLUS, Perkins, Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans, Pell, SEOG, HETAP and CSAP) to their sources. The percentage is determined by dividing the number of days attended by the number of days in the semester.

Summer Session Tuition and Fees: For summer sessions, students who withdraw from the university through census date will not be charged any tuition and fees. No proration of tuition and fees will be made for students who withdraw after the census date.

Residence Hall and Apartment Rent: For all semesters, students who withdraw through the census date will be charged a flat fee of $200 ($100 for summer sessions). No proration of rent will be made for students who withdraw after the census date.

Meal Plans: For all semesters, students who withdraw through the census date will be charged a flat fee of $200 ($100 for summer sessions). After census date and through the last day to withdraw and receive a grade of “W,” refunds will be prorated based on the number of weeks or actual usage, as applicable. No proration will be made after the last day to withdraw and receive a grade of “W” for that semester.

Return of Title IV Federal Financial Aid

This policy governs all federal grant and loan programs, but does not include the Federal Work-Study program.

The law assumes that a student “earns” approved (verified) federal financial aid awards in proportion to the number of days in the term prior to the student’s complete withdrawal. If a student completely withdraws from school during a term, the school must calculate, according to a specific formula, the portion of the total scheduled financial assistance that the student has earned and is therefore entitled to retain, until the time that the student withdrew. If a student receives (or the university receives on the student’s behalf) more assistance than he/she earns, the unearned funds must be returned to the Department of Education or to the Federal Direct or parent’s Federal PLUS loan lenders. If a student’s charges are less than the amount earned, and a refund is due, the student may be able to receive those additional funds. Students who have not completed the verification process are ineligible to receive any financial aid.

The portion of the federal grants and loans that the student is entitled to receive is calculated on a percentage basis by comparing the total number of days in the semester to the number of days that the student completed before he/she withdrew. For example, if a student completes 30 percent of the semester, he/she earns 30 percent of the approved federal aid that he/she was originally scheduled to receive. This means that 70 percent of the student’s scheduled or disbursed aid remains unearned and must be returned to the Federal Programs. This policy governs the earned and unearned portions of the student’s Federal Title IV Financial Aid only. It determines how much, if any, the student and/or the school may need to return. This policy does not affect the student’s charges. The University’s Withdrawal Policy (stated above) will be used to determine the reduction, if any, in the student’s tuition and fee or room and board charges. The student is responsible for paying any outstanding charges to the university.

The student’s official withdrawal date will be determined by the university as

  1. the date the student began the university’s withdrawal process (the date that the student officially notified the advising center of his/her intent to withdraw);
  2. the midpoint of the semester if the student withdraws without notifying the university; or
  3. the student’s last date of attendance at an academically-related activity as documented by the university.

If it is determined that a portion of the financial aid received on the student’s behalf is unearned, the university shares with the student the responsibility of returning those funds.

Any grant funds that the student is required to return to the Federal Programs are considered an overpayment. The student must either repay the amount in full or make satisfactory payment arrangements with the Department of Education to repay the amount. If the student fails to repay, or make payment arrangements, to repay an overpayment the student will lose his/her eligibility to receive future federal financial aid at any institution.

Refund Policy for State and Institutional Aid

The policy will affect students who completely withdraw from all classes in a semester and who are receiving state or institutional financial assistance. It does not apply to students who withdraw from some but not all classes within a semester. All financial programs are covered under this policy. State Student Loan, Last Dollar and VTG MUST be reduced to tuition costs only before any further refund is considered. The portion of the RU Grant and VGAP funds that the student is entitled to receive will be calculated on a percentage basis by comparing the total number of days in the semester to the total number of days that the student completed before he/she withdrew. Funds from the Virginia Teaching Scholarship Loan Program must be returned to this program in full.

Enrollment Deposit Refunds

Students who are offered admission as a residential student must submit a $400 housing and enrollment deposit. Commuter students are required to submit a $200 enrollment deposit. Students who choose not to enroll can receive a refund of the enrollment deposit upon request before May 1. After that date, the deposit is forfeited.

Financial Services

Banking Facilities

Three banks are located near the Radford University campus: SunTrust Bank, Wells Fargo and BB&T. In addition, the city is serviced by Stellar One, Bank of Floyd, Bank of America and National Bank. SunTrust Bank, Wells Fargo and Stellar One operate automatic teller machines on campus. Checks presented by Radford University students are accepted by the university subject to the following limitations and policies:

  • The university accepts checks for tuition/fees, room and board, the exact amount of goods or services and fines owed to the university.
  • The Post Office accepts checks and RU Express cards for the amount of purchase.
  • The university bookstore will cash checks between $5 and $25. A service charge of 50 cents will be assessed for each check cashed.
  • Checks written directly to a student by the Commonwealth of Virginia or by Radford University may be cashed at the bank indicated on the check or at a bank where the student has an account.
  • A student who knowingly writes a check with insufficient funds in his or her checking account may be charged with an honor code violation and may be prosecuted under the criminal law of the Commonwealth of Virginia.
  • If a check written for tuition/fees or room and board is returned from the bank for any reasons, future tuition/fee or room and board payments may be required to be made with cash, money order, certified check or cashier’s check, and the student may be administratively withdrawn from the university. In addition, the student will be assessed a $25 service charge and a late fee of either 10 percent of the amount of check or $75 (whichever is less) if applicable.
  • A student may be blocked from registration and transcripts may be held if a check is returned from the bank and remains unpaid.
  • A service charge will be applied to all checks returned from the bank for any reason.

Financial Aid

Helping qualified students who would be unable to attend the university because of a lack of funds is the aim of Radford’s financial aid program. During the 2010-2011 academic year, Radford provided some form of aid for approximately 72 percent of its students. Primary responsibility for funds for education belongs to parents and students. The difference between the family contribution and the cost of attending the university determines the financial need of the student. The criteria used for selecting student aid recipients involve both the computed need and the academic progress standing of the individual student. Top consideration for awarding financial aid dollars will be given to those who demonstrate the greatest need, who have valid applications submitted by the deadline, and who are admitted to Radford by the deadline. Should funds not be available to meet all these needs, the aid will be prioritized by need among eligible applicants.

After a student has been admitted to Radford and has demonstrated financial need, the university tries to meet that need by offering a financial aid package, which may consist of a scholarship, grant, loan and/or on-campus job.

In addition to awards based on demonstrated financial need, scholarships based on leadership, character and academic achievements are offered at Radford. Sources of financial aid include loans and grants from the federal and
state governments, as well as numerous private funds established through the Radford University Foundation. For additional information, refer to the RU Financial Aid website: http://finaid.asp.radford.edu/.

Applying For Financial Aid

To determine need in a consistent way for aid applicants, Radford suggests that students seeking financial aid submit a completed Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by February 15. Forms and further information about the needs analysis system may be obtained from high school guidance counselors, the Financial Aid Office, or the Radford University Financial Aid website at: http://finaid.asp.radford.edu/.

Currently enrolled students may obtain FAFSA worksheets from the university’s Financial Aid Office or complete the FAFSA through the web at: http://fafsa.ed.gov/.

The FAFSA for renewal students also should be filed by February 15.

Radford awards financial aid separately for the academic year and the summer terms.

Students who plan to be enrolled during the summer must submit a separate university summer Financial Aid Application. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid form, however, needs to be completed only once annually and is effective for both the academic year and the following summer sessions.

Disbursement of Financial Aid

All types of financial aid are credited to the student’s account at the beginning of each term with the exception of workstudy and some loans. These financial aid funds must be used first to pay the required university charges outstanding at that time. All awards will be disbursed equally over the course of the two academic semesters unless the student applies for only one term. Financial assistance awarded for the summer terms will be indicated for the specific term.

Radford University participates in Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) of William D. Ford Direct Lending Education Loan funds.

This option of disbursing loan proceeds is an additional service that the university offers its students. Financial aid applicants will receive information with their award package regarding this service.

Refund of Excess Financial Aid

If a student’s Federal and/or Alternative Loan funds are received electronically he/she may have the excess aid deposited into his/her checking or savings account. If this option is not chosen, a refund check will be mailed to the student’s mailing address.

Satisfactory Progress

Financial aid awards are conditional on students maintaining satisfactory progress in their course of study according to academic and progress requirements. Satisfactory progress for financial aid purposes requires that the student meet the university’s progress requirements and maintains progress toward a degree. Additional progress requirements exist for the state financial aid programs. For financial aid recipients, the policy can be obtained from the RU Financial Aid Office or from the RU Financial Aid website: http://finaid.asp.radford.edu/sap.html.

The academic progress of students who fail to meet the minimum standards will be reviewed each semester of the school year. At that time financial assistance may be awarded, if available, to those students who improve satisfactorily.

Rights and Responsibilities of Student Recipients

As a recipient of state or federal aid, each student has certain rights and responsibilities. Knowing what they are will place the student in a better position to make decisions about educational goals and how they best can be achieved. If at any time there are questions about financial aid, students should come to the Financial Aid Office where there is additional information available concerning their legal rights and responsibilities.

The student has a right to know:

  • the total cost of attending Radford University for an academic year, including tuition and fees and estimated costs of personal expenses, books and transportation;
  • the due dates for mandatory fees and the payment procedures for those receiving financial assistance;
  • the deadline for submitting applications;
  • how the financial need was determined;
  • how much of the estimated financial need has been met;
  • the types of financial aid offered by Radford University and the terms of those types of aid which were received;
  • how satisfactory academic progress is measured; and
  • the university refund policy for students who withdraw.

The student is responsible:

  • for submitting honest and accurate information concerning enrollment and family financial circumstances;
  • for adhering to all agreements signed in the course of applying for and receiving financial assistance;
  • for reporting a change to less than full-time enrollment during the award period;
  • for reporting promptly to the Financial Aid Office the receipt of scholarships, grants or loans awarded by organizations or agencies other than Radford University;
  • for becoming familiar with the deadlines for application, the terms of financial aid received and refund policies for students who withdraw;
  • for knowing the loan repayment responsibilities and abiding by the terms of the promissory note; and
  • if awarded student employment, for performing the job in a satisfactory manner. An unsatisfactory performance may result in removal from the work program.


Federal Perkins Loan

The Perkins Loan is funded by the federal government, but is administered directly by Radford University. Graduate students may borrow a total of $60,000, which includes any amount borrowed under National Direct Student Loan (NDSL) or Perkins for undergraduate study. Students begin paying back these loans nine months after they either complete their education or leave school. No interest is charged until repayment begins and then a five percent charge is applied to the unpaid balance.

Federal Direct Lending Student Loan

The Direct Lending Federal Loan enables graduate students to borrow as much as $65,500 in subsidized not to exceed $138,500 in both subsidized and unsubsidized Federal Loans cumulative for both undergraduate and graduate work. Graduate students may borrow up to $8,500 per year subsidized with a maximum of $20,500 in subsidized and unsubsidized loan. All students will be required to pay up to a one percent default fee as required by the Department of Education for each loan. The interest rate for new borrowers is a fixed rate of 6.8 percent. The interest rate for Subsidized Federal Loans is subsidized by the federal government until six months after the student graduates, leaves school or drops below half time status and when repayment begins. For Unsubsidized Federal Loans, the borrower either makes interest payments or capitalizes the interest.

Information on these loans is available from the Department of Education, online at http://www.finaid/org.loans/ or at the Office of Financial Aid. Federal Loans require the student to establish financial need for Subsidized Federal Loans. Those students not eligible for Subsidized Federal Loans or partial Subsidized Federal Loans will be eligible for Unsubsidized Federal Loans. Therefore, all students applying for Federal Loans must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid to establish eligibility. Generally, half of the proceeds of the loan will be available in the fall and the remaining amount available in the spring to be applied toward charges for each semester.

Direct Lending Federal Graduate PLUS Loan

Direct Lending Federal Graduate PLUS loans are available for graduate students. In order to be eligible for this loan, graduate students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and apply for their entire loan eligibility before borrowing from this program. In addition, the Graduate PLUS loan requires that students must not have an adverse credit history which is determined by a credit check conducted by the Department of Education.

The repayment period for this begins after the date the loan is fully disbursed. Loan repayment deferments may be possible when you are enrolled in at least five credit hours (1/2 time status). Contact the Department of Education at (800) 557-7394 for more information regarding deferments. Students can borrow up to their cost of education minus any other financial aid (including Federal loan eligibility). The interest rate is fixed at 7.9 percent and all students will be required to pay a fee of up to 4 percent of the loan. Please visit the Financial Aid website (www.radford.edu/~finaid) or contact the Financial Aid Office about applying for this loan.

Work Programs

Federal Work-Study Program

This is a federal program that provides part-time jobs for students with financial need as determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). A student is awarded work for a specific number of hours per week. Students must contact supervisors listed on the RU Financial Aid website to secure a work position. An undergraduate student is paid the current federal minimum wage and may earn up to $1,305 per semester or a maximum of $2,610 for the academic year.

Students awarded a work award may use the university website to locate positions on campus (http://finaid.asp.radford.edu/work.html). Students are paid once each month for the preceding pay period.

University Work Scholarship Program

This program provides a limited number of part-time employment opportunities for students who do not qualify for the workstudy program. Any full-time student with satisfactory grades is eligible for employment. The number of hours worked and hourly earnings are identical to those in the Federal Work-Study Program.

Under an agreement with the U.S. Department of Education, the institution is obligated to employ qualified financially eligible students before offering employment to others.

Residence Hall Assistantships

The residence director (RD) position is a graduate assistantship with a two-year commitment. The RD is responsible for the total operation of a residence hall housing 130-300 students. Qualifications for the position include effective interpersonal and communication skills, a strong commitment to working with a diverse student population and relevant experience. Compensation includes tuition and fees, furnished one bedroom apartment (can accommodate RDs who are single or married), full meal plan and a monthly stipend for nine months. Additional information and application materials are available through the Office of Residential Life or at http://www.radford.edu /res-life.

Graduate Assistantships for Master’s and Specialist Degree Students

Graduate assistantships provide the university with a means of recruiting and retaining highly talented students in graduate programs. Assistantships enhance graduate study by providing professional experience and financial support. Graduate coordinators recommend students from their programs for an assistantship based on merit. To be considered for an assistantship, students must submit an online assistantship application available on the Graduate College website and must be on regular or temporary admission status. The priority deadline for application is February 15 for fall admission.

Types of Assistantships

There are three types of assistantships. First- or second-year students who assist professors with research and sporadic instructional duties or who work in an administrative/departmental office for 10, 15 or 20 hours per week are referred to as graduate assistants (GAs). Students – typically in their first year of study – who work 10 or 20 hours per week assisting a faculty member with instructional duties are called graduate teaching assistants (GTAs). Second-year graduate students who work 20 hours per week as sole instructors of record for a course are called graduate teaching fellows (GTFs). Detailed descriptions of the requirements associated with these positions appear below and on the Graduate College website.

Assignments are based on merit and credit hour considerations. A full-time graduate student is considered someone who takes 9 - 14 graduate credit hours per term. A GTA may only be enrolled for 9 - 12 credit hours. A GTF may be enrolled for 9 credit hours only. A GA may be enrolled for 9 - 14 credit hours. Students in violation of the overload policy of more than 14 hours will not be eligible for an assistantship. However, a student may be awarded a graduate assistantship if enrolled for 15 graduate credit hours – but no more – if one or more credits are part of a formal lab course, local practicum or local part-time internship. All types of graduate assistants will be evaluated each term. Based upon performance in the assistantship and/or budgetary considerations, students cannot be guaranteed receipt of an award in a subsequent year. Failure to renew an award based upon performance issues may be appealed. Students who resign from any type of assistantship without notice and without providing written justification approved by the dean of the Graduate College within five days of the resignation will not be eligible for an assistantship in the future.

Graduate Assistants

GAs receive an annual stipend depending on whether they are assigned to work 10, 15 or 20 hours per week. Stipends for GAs who work for one term only may also be available. It is expected that most GAs will assist faculty members with scholarly/creative activities or instruction, although some are assigned to administrative duties. A GA must have no regular teaching responsibility. GAs must be allowed the flexibility to first attend to academics while fulfilling the expectations of their assignments.

A limited number of GA positions are available in the summer for students enrolled in at least six graduate credit hours. A separate online application and resume are required for these positions. Details are on the Graduate College website.

Graduate Teaching Assistants

GTAs receive an annual stipend plus a partial in-state tuition award. It is expected that GTAs will directly and regularly assist the instructor with teaching responsibilities for 20 hours per week each semester. Though some teaching may and should be required, a GTA is not responsible for the conduct of a course. GTAs must be allowed the flexibility to first attend to their own academics while fulfilling the expectations of their assignments. A GTA’s supervising instructor is expected to provide regular formal mentoring. GTAs are expected to be available for training during the week before classes start in the fall. The specific scheduling and content of this training vary by degree program.

Graduate Teaching Fellows

GTFs receive an annual stipend plus a partial in-state tuition award which are both more than those awarded to GTAs. It is expected that GTFs will teach two sections of a 100-level (or with prior approval from the Graduate College, a 200-level) course each semester as Professor of Record. A GTF must have successfully completed at least 18 graduate credit hours in her/his degree program, be enrolled full-time and have successfully undergone pedagogical training with mentoring. While the GTF will have primary responsibility for the course being taught, formal mentoring by a full-time faculty member is required. GTFs should only be selected if they clearly have the ability to balance their own academic responsibilities with those of their assignment. GTFs are expected to be available for training during the week before classes begin in the fall. The specific scheduling and content of this training vary by degree program.

For an expanded list of financial aid programs available to graduate students, visit http://finaid.asp.radford.edu/grprog.html

Financial Support for Doctoral Students

Pending budgetary availability, the university offers financial support for students enrolled full-time in doctoral programs. Please consult the specific doctoral program coordinator/director for detailed information on the level and type of support.

Responsibilities of the Graduate Student

The student must become familiar with the academic policies outlined in this section of the catalog. The academic advisor will advise the student on all matters related to the program of study and the dean of the Graduate College will aid the student in the interpretation of policies whenever necessary. The ultimate responsibility for meeting all stated requirements for graduate degrees awarded by the university rests with the student.

A checklist of issues to which students must attend during their graduate program appears here  and is included in the student’s letter of admission.