Jul 23, 2024  
2018 - 2019 Graduate Catalog 
2018 - 2019 Graduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Campus Life

Numerous cultural and educational activities are offered each year. Music, dance and theater presentations enable students to attend, as well as participate in, various productions during the year. A full schedule of art exhibits is arranged and presented by the Radford University Art Museum. An all-campus student calendar at www.radford.edu/~studentcalendar provides students with up-to-date information on the upcoming major programs, theater and music events, along with meeting times for clubs and organizations in which they may be interested.

Department of Student Activities (www.radford.edu/stuact)

Students are encouraged to develop social, cultural and creative interests and awareness by actively participating in all aspects of campus life.

The Department of Student Activities provides students with diverse out-of-the-classroom experiences including, Hurlburt Student Center Game Room, Radford Student Programming and Campus Events (R-SPaCE), Greek Life, 250+ clubs and organizations, Student media, LEAD Scholar Program, Leadership library and other resources, LEAD 110: Emerging Leadership classes, Student Organization Assistance and Resources Office (SOAR), Radford University ticket sales, Student volunteerism and employment opportunities and Student calendar events. For further information check out the above website, call (540) 831-5332 or stop by the main office (Room 226 in the Hurlburt Student Center).

Department of Student Recreation & Wellness (www.radford.edu/recreation)

Located in the Student Recreation & Wellness Center. Student Recreation & Wellness at Radford University takes great pride in providing a variety of programming events for students and employees. Our staff works diligently to provide quality recreational opportunities to enhance the quality of life.

Sport Club Program

Sport clubs highlight the leadership skills and athletic talents of the Radford University student body. The Sports Club Program is designed to serve individual interests in different sporting and recreational activities. The club sport teams range from very competitive to recreational as well as instructional. Currently there are 19 chartered sport clubs at Radford University. They include ice hockey, men’s and women’s lacrosse, men’s rugby, equestrian team, men’s and women’s ultimate, men’s and women’s soccer, men’s and women’s volleyball, women’s softball, men’s baseball, men’s basketball, skeet and trap, fishing, women’s basketball and bowling.

Intramural Program

Intramurals are for everyone. A variety of individual and team sports/activities are planned, ranging from league competition to more informal tournaments and one-day events that are intended to appeal to the varied interests of the Radford University community. Past intramurals have included dodge ball, sand volleyball, ping pong, flag football, softball, wallyball, billiards, soccer, basketball, and ultimate home run derby.

RU Outdoors Program

RU Outdoors is the adventure programming component of campus recreation that provides outdoor adventures, promotes healthy self-discovery, emphasizes respect and awareness for the natural resources and unlocks student leadership potential. Trips include hiking, backpacking, paddling, caving, mountain biking and climbing. All skill levels are accepted. For a low fee, instruction, technical equipment and transportation are provided. Students can even rent equipment for their own outdoor adventure.

Fitness Classes

Available at no cost and include Zumba, functional fitness, aerobics, and more.

Indoor Facilities

Our indoor facilities currently include Peters and the Student Recreation & Wellness Center. Peters Hall has a fitness center with wide array of strength (free weight, plate loaded, cabled) and cardio equipment (treadmills, ellipticals, steppers, bikes), a gymnasium, and several activity rooms along with the climbing wall. The Student Recreation & Wellness Center is a 115,000 square foot facility that includes indoor cycling, three basketball courts, two racquetball courts, multipurpose gym, strength and cardio areas, locker rooms, equipment rental, meeting spaces, multi-functional exercise rooms, and more.

Outdoor Facilities

Our outdoor facilities currently include several intramural sport and recreational fields at the Dedmon athletic complex.

The seven acre artificial turf field that was completed in 2015 is used for intramurals and sports clubs competitions and games.

Intercollegiate Athletics Program and Facilities

Radford University, a NCAA Division I member, currently participates in 16 varsity sports, 10 for women and six for men. The sports include: men’s baseball, men’s and women’s basketball, men’s and women’s cross country, men’s and women’s golf, women’s lacrosse, men’s and women’s soccer, women’s outdoor track, women’s indoor track, women’s softball, men’s and women’s tennis and women’s volleyball. The university offers athletic scholarship aid in all sports.

The Dedmon Center, an athletic and convocation complex located across U.S. Route 11 (East Main Street) from the main campus, houses a state of the art strength and conditioning facility and the VCOM Center for Sports Medicine which is a sports medicine facility that was completed in 2018.

Outdoor facilities at the center include a jogging trail, 12 tennis courts, the Patrick D. Cupp Memorial Stadium, Williams Field at Carter Memorial Baseball Stadium, the Radford Softball Stadium and the Sioros Center for Baseball and Softball.  The stadium houses an eight-lane track and field surface, a soccer field, locker rooms, a press box, coaches’ offices, indoor hitting facility, and a concession area.

Student Resources

The Center for Career and Talent Development

The Center for Career and Talent Development is an innovative space where students can discover their career interests, gain relevant experience and learn how to thrive professionally. Students can connect with their career coach to develop a customized career plan, find a job on Handshake, register for events and enhance their leadership skills. In need of professional attire? The center offers a Career Closet with free professional attire for students. The center is located in 331 Russell Hall and is open from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. during the week.

For additional information, visit the center’s website at http://careers.asp.radford.edu.

Harvey Knowledge Center

The Harvey Knowledge Center (HKC), formally the Learning Assistance and Resource Center (LARC), supports students in achieving academic success. Using a learner-centered approach, the HKC offers free academic consulting and seminars to support students’ skills and confidence in navigating the opportunities and challenges of their coursework. The HKC’s focus is to help students develop and leverage their own strategies for learning that can extend beyond the questions that bring them to the center. We have tools and resources to support any academic goals. The HKC’s services include:

  • One-on-one assistance and small group tutoring for writing, math, science, and more
  • Short-term and sustained tutoring and skills groups
  • Coaching on how to transfer study skills to a university setting
  • Workshops and strategy guides on time management, test-taking approaches, and similar topics

Off-Campus/Commuter Student Services

The Dean of Students Office and SGA Off-Campus Student Council (OCSC) coordinate services for off-campus/commuter students. Check the off-campus student services link at www.radford.edu/content/dsa/home.html for additional information.

The following is a list of some of the services provided for off-campus students: Radford-area housing provider list, renters insurance information, the Housing Fair, liaison relationship with landlords and the community, educational opportunities and information about living off-campus, and a roommate matching board in the Dean of Students Office. Lounges are located in the Bonnie Hurlburt Student Center and Heth Hall for relaxation or study. In addition to the Bonnie and Heth lounges, other areas, which provide for study and relaxation, are located in the library. Meal plan options are available for off-campus students. For information about the plans, contact the RU Express Office at (540) 831-5054.


Students may park motor vehicles, motorcycles and motorbikes in appropriate student parking lots (commuter or resident) if they have obtained a parking permit online or from the Parking Services Office located in Heth Hall. To purchase a parking permit online, students may log in to the MyRU Portal, choose the parking icon, choose “Get Permit” and follow the prompts from there.  Registration of a vehicle does not assure the registrant of a parking space. (Please see PART II of the Parking Regulations www.radford.edu/content/parking-transportation/home/information/regulations.html). Detailed information regarding parking and traffic regulations may be obtained at www.radford.edu/content/parking-transportation/home.html.

Housing and Residential Life

Radford University has 15 residence halls offering a variety of living options for all student classifications. All are within walking distance of academic buildings, campus activities and downtown Radford. Residence Halls are furnished with a TV lounge, vending machines, kitchen, laundry room, recycling area and study lounges. Halls are coed by suite with two rooms sharing one bathroom. Several residence halls also offer “hotel style” self-contained bathrooms in the rooms.

Off-Campus Housing

A substantial number of rooms and apartments for rent are available in the immediate vicinity of the campus for students who have met the requirements of the university boarding policy as outlined in the Standards of Student Conduct. The university also owns and operates apartments near campus. Students living off campus may purchase meal plans and are encouraged to eat in the university dining halls. (See Dining Services below .) Several meal plans are available to off-campus students.

University-Owned Apartments

The university operates multiple apartment facilities within walking distance of campus.  Units range from two bedroom to five bedrooms. Information can be obtained from the Office of Housing and Residential Life at (540) 831-5375.

Center for Diversity and Inclusion

Various services and programs for underrepresented students at Radford University are coordinated by the Center for Diversity and Inclusion in conjunction with other departments.

The Black Student Affairs Council, which is affiliated with the Student Government Association, addresses African-American and minority student concerns and interests, helps coordinate activities sponsored by African-American student organizations and seeks to unite all students at the university.

The Diversity Awareness Programming Board, which is affiliated with both the Center for Diversity and Inclusion, and Department of Student Activities, is designed to promote multicultural issues, heritage, and achievements through programming and other activities. Eight historically black Greek letter organizations, which are affiliated with the Department of Student Activities, complement social and service opportunities on campus. The fraternities are Alpha Phi Alpha, Kappa Alpha Psi, Phi Beta Sigma and Omega Psi Phi. The sororities are Alpha Kappa Alpha, Delta Sigma Theta, Sigma Gamma Rho and Zeta Phi Beta.

The National Association of Latino Fraternal Organizations, Inc., which is also affiliated with the Department of Student Activities, is the newest council of Greek Life. This council governs the Latino fraternal organizations on campus. Chi Upsilon Sigma is currently formed at Radford University.

Radford University’s Campus Ministers’ Association, RUCMA, is the organization for the campus ministers or faculty advisors of the student religious organizations. Recognized student religious organizations include: Baptist, Baptist Independent, Catholic, Episcopal, Jewish, Mormon, Muslim, Presbyterian, United Methodist and various non-denominational groups.

For further information, contact the Center for Diversity and Inclusion at (540) 831-5765, www.radford.edu/diverse or the Department of Student Activities at (540) 831-5332, www.radford.edu/student-activities.

Physical and Mental Health Services

Center for Accessibility (CAS)

We are committed to providing equal educational opportunities for all students. The Center for Accessibility (CAS), located in Russell Hall, serves and supports students, parents, and visitors seeking reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act. We are dedicated to the ongoing goal of access and inclusion for an individual to fully participate in the university experience. 

Students seeking academic accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act should register with the Center for Accessibility (CAS).  For information on how to receive services through the CAS, visit www.radford.edu/content/cas, email cas@radford.edu, or call (540) 831-6350.  Office hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.  Students must complete the Radford University Health Immunization Record Form prior to enrollment.  Please note that meningitis, tetanus, hepatitis B, and two MMR injections are mandatory and must be included in the immunization record.

Health Center

The Student Health Center is located on the ground floor of east Moffett Hall. The center is equipped to provide diagnosis and treatment for most of the common health problems encountered by students. More serious medical situations are referred to a network of local specialists.

Over-the-counter medications and a limited number of pharmaceuticals are available. Emergency medical care is available at the nearby Carilion New River Valley Medical Center. For more information about services, please visit www.radford.edu/~health/.

Students are encouraged to contact the Health Center regarding any special health concerns they bring to the university. Health information is confidential. Students must complete the Radford University Health Immunization Record Form prior to enrollment. Please note that meningitis, tetanus, hepatitis B, and two MMR injections are mandatory and must be included in the immunization record.

The Student Health Center has been accredited by the Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care, Inc. (AAAHC) since 1999. All medical staff are licensed by the state of Virginia and all providers are nationally certified.

Student Counseling Services

Student Counseling Services (SCS), located in Tyler Hall, is a place where students can talk privately and confidentially about issues which are of concern to them. Students frequently seek assistance with issues such as stress, anxiety, depression, relationships, lack of motivation and family concerns. Counseling at the SCS is provided by licensed mental health professionals and advanced graduate psychology trainees.  Services at the SCS are free to both undergraduate and graduate students at Radford University.  Specific services at the SCS include:

  • Counseling: Group and Individual counseling is offered for a variety of student concerns. Typical counseling topics include stress, anxiety, depression, sexuality, motivation, homesickness, body image issues, relationships, adjustment issues and other developmental concerns. Counselors can also assist students who need referrals for a medication assessment.
  • Psychiatric: Evaluations for medication and some on-going medication monitoring is provided by a psychiatrist in the Radford University Student Health Services. The SCS can initiate this process and referral as appropriate.
  • Consultation:  The SCS offers consultation to Radford University members with questions including students, faculty, staff, parents, and outside providers.

For an appointment please come to our walk-in hours Monday - Friday from 1:00 p.m. until 3:00 p.m.  For further information, call (540) 831-5226 for Student Counseling Services or visit our website at www.radford.edu/counseling.

Substance Abuse and Violence Education Support Services 

Substance Abuse and Violence Education Support services (SAVES)  is dedicated to increasing knowledge and awareness of substance abuse and sexual violence as well as decreasing the negative consequences related to substance abuse and/or violence through campus wide initiatives that address these issues and promote student success. SAVES provides the following services:

  • Presentations, trainings, and educational resources on the topics of substance abuse, sexual violence (sexual assault, dating violence, stalking, and harassment), and the Step Up Bystander Intervention program.
  • RU Aware Program: Education and counseling for Radford University alcohol and drug policy violations.
  • Counseling, advocacy and support for sexual violence victims.
  • Consultations for students, parents, faculty and staff.
  • LiveWell media campaign: Dedicated to fostering a healthy campus community by providing accurate information on health-related behaviors and encouraging healthy lifestyle choices.
  • Peer Health Educators: Student group supported by the SAVES office dedicated to raising awareness of student health issues.

For more information, students can visit the SAVES website at www.radford.edu/saves, e-mail saves@radford.edu or call (540) 831-5709.

Radford University Speech-Language-Hearing Clinic

The Radford University Speech-Language-Hearing Clinic, located on the first floor of Waldron Hall, provides services for students, faculty, staff, and members of the community. Graduate students majoring in Communication Sciences and Disorders provide the services under the direct supervision of faculty members who are licensed speech-language pathologists and audiologists. Hearing screenings and evaluations, in addition to hearing aid evaluations are available. Speech and language evaluations and therapy are provided for persons with articulation, stuttering, voice, language or other communication disorders. The services are free for Radford University students, faculty and dependents. Appointments may be made by calling (540) 831-7166 or emailing speech@radford.edu.

Dining Services

Dalton Dining Hall is the main “all you care to eat” style dining hall that offers a wide selection of foods at various stations. Some of the stations include Fresh Grille with burgers, hot sandwiches and fries; Market Carvery with entrees, vegetables and starches; and Menutainment, which is an action station where food is prepared in front of the guests. Other options include a salad bar with composed salads and fresh fruit, made to order sandwiches, house made pizzas, dessert bar and beverage station. There is also a variety of healthy, vegetarian, vegan, sustainable, gluten-free, and sugar-free options made available to students.

The Terrace Shops Food Court located in Dalton Hall features a variety of retail shops including Au Bon Pain, Dalton to Go, Papa John’s and Wendy’s. The options range from soup, sandwiches and baked goods from Au Bon Pain, pizza from Papa John’s, and burgers, fries and frosties from Wendy’s.

The Food Court in Hurlburt Hall has Chick-fil-A, Pinkberry, Hissho Sushi, and Create. The options in these locations range from chicken nuggets and sandwiches at Chick-fil-A, frozen yogurt at Pinkberry, a wide selection of sushi and stir-fry from Hissho Sushi, and custom built salads and wraps in Create.

Au Bon Pain Café, located in McConnell Library, features gourmet coffee, espresso drinks, soups and a wide selection of sandwiches and salads.

Starbucks, located on the third floor in the College of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences building, features three espresso machines and they have expanded offerings to include some of the hot food line.

The New River Grille House on the lower level of Muse Hall features two different concepts. Lunch is an “all you care to eat” buffet with expanded service offering entrées, vegetables, starches, soup, salad bar, and dessert. Dinner features an upscale full-service retail restaurant and gives the guest a choice of salad bar or soup, choice of one gourmet entrée and choice of dessert.

All dining locations on campus accept cash, food dollars, flex dollars, debit and credit cards and RU Express. To learn more about RU Dining Services, visit the website at www.DineOnCampus.com/Radford.

Special Diets

Students sometimes have special dietary needs. To accommodate these students, a staff of dining professionals is always available to assist them. Any eating disorder, weight gain/loss concerns or special diet requirements can be discussed in confidence. To make an appointment, call (540) 831-7660.

Meal Plans for Off-Campus Students

Meal plans available to the off-campus student include 90 or 65 meals per semester, Flex Plan, Flex Plan Jr., or 15 or 19 meals per week. Each plan entitles the diner to a number of meals per week and several include Food Dollars, which can be used in all dining locations on campus. Payment plan options are available for all off-campus meal plans through the RU Express Office in Heth Hall. Visit the RU Express website at http://ru-exprs.asp.radford.edu to learn more about the off-campus meal plan options.

Technology Services

Division of Information Technology www.radford.edu/it

The Division of Information Technology (DoIT) consists of Information Technology Infrastructure, Enterprise Systems, Technology Support Services, IT Project Management, Printing Services, Vending Services, RU Express, Telephone Services, Web Communications, Radio, TV, and Information Security. DoIT is committed to providing a secure, highly reliable technology infrastructure along with high-quality, customer-oriented services and support to meet the ever changing needs of students, faculty and staff at Radford University. DoIT provides comprehensive computer and information technology support for the university and offers students, faculty and staff access to a wide variety of computer, network and Internet resources.

Computer Accounts for Accessing Radford University Technology Resources

Access to Radford University technology resources requires a university-issued account. All Radford University students receive an account while enrolled at the university. This account provides access to campus computers, email, MyRU, class registration and many other systems and resources from the MyRU Portal which can be accessed at https://myru.radford.edu.

Campus Network and Internet Connections

Radford University provides ubiquitous high-speed Internet and campus network connectivity throughout the campus. Wi-Fi (802.11) access is available in classrooms, administrative buildings, dining facilities and residence halls. In addition to Wi-Fi 33, all residence hall rooms are equipped with two Ethernet connections and a Cable TV connection.

Access to the full range of Radford University network services requires the use of a VPN connection which can be accessed at https://webvpn.radford.edu.

Computing Standards Purchases

The Radford University Bookstore offers discounted pricing for PC and Mac computers. In addition to hardware, Radford University has agreements in place to provide students with access to Microsoft Office and anti-virus software. Complete information on hardware recommendations and available software can be found on the DoIT website.

Technology Support Services

Technology Support Services (TSS) provides one-stop support for students, faculty and staff. TSS offers phone-in and walk-in computer help desk services, repair for university-supported computer equipment, technology training and computer lab and classroom facilities. More information, including help desk hours and training offerings, is available on the Technology Support Services section of the DoIT website.

Walker Technology Center

The Walker Technology Center is a general-purpose computer lab facility available for use by all students, faculty and staff. This center, located on the second floor of Walker Hall, has more than 100 PC and Mac workstations offering access to a wide variety of software and resources. Network printers are available for students in this area. Students receive an initial free allotment of pages each year. After this allotment is used, printouts are paid for using the available balance on an RU Express card.

McConnell Library



We have over 35 librarians and staff ready to provide a variety of services both in and out of the library – including research assistance, instruction, programs, and access to and lending of materials. In addition, we employ over 50 graduate assistants and undergraduate work-study students. We are here for you!


We offer quiet nooks …

  • Locking study carrels can be reserved by graduate students.
  • Tables, easy chairs, beanbags, etc. are on each floor.
  • A Graduate Study Room is located on Level 5.

spaces for collaborative work…

  • Garden Study Rooms are on Level 2.
  • The Harvey Study Room is a Mac lab on Level 4.

and more.

  • Our media: scape rooms even let you plug in your handheld device and project it on a big screen so you can collaborate with others.
  • Two Information Literacy Centers can be used as computer labs when not in use for library instruction sessions.
  • A gathering room on Level 3 features food and beverage vending machines – including a gourmet coffee machine, board games, easy chairs, and a laptop bar.

We have computers! There are 100 public computers available in the library, both PCs and Macs. Most are located in the Library Commons on Level 3, or in the Harvey Center on Level 4, with additional workstations on every level. Scanners are located in the Library Commons as well.

McConnell Library is accessible and strives for barrier-free access for all patrons. We are happy to provide personal assistance in locating and retrieving library materials. There is a small Assistive Technology Lab on Level 3:  http://www.radford.edu/content/library/services/assistive-technology.html.


Our library contains a growing collection of over 600,000 print and electronic books, almost 29,000 print and electronic journals, nearly 125,000 physical and streaming media titles, over 500 databases, and much more.

University Archives and Special Collections are located on Level 5 and hold historical university records, including Board of Visitors’ documents and university-sponsored publications. Special collections include Virginia Iron Coal and Coke Company records, the personal library of U.S. Supreme Court Justice Arthur J. Goldberg, the Keystone Glass Slide Collection, and other regionally significant historical materials.

Audiovisual equipment such as cameras, tripods, and projectors is available at the Front Desk. Non-print items, including DVDs, CDs, and playback and viewing equipment, are located on Level 4.

The library’s website at http://library.radford.edu is the gateway to a wide variety of online databases, full-text journals, e-books, poetry, music, and other materials, including the resources provided by the Virtual Library of Virginia (VIVA). The website links to the library catalog of books, media, and electronic resources.

Materials not owned by the library can be borrowed, free of charge, through Interlibrary Loan. Requests can be submitted through the ILLiad system at https://illiad.radford.edu/illiad/; many articles are delivered electronically via e-mail.


Physical library materials may be checked out at the Front Desk, which is on Level 3 in the Main Reading Room near the entrance to the building. The Radford University I.D. card serves as the library card and must be presented in order to check out library materials. For more information on lending policies, see http://www.radford.edu/content/library/services/checking-out-items.html or contact the Front Desk at frontdesk@radford.edu or (540) 831-5364.

Reference Services and Research Assistance

The Reference/Instruction Department offers a wide range of resources and services, including individualized research assistance and course-related instruction. Reference works and other general and specialized research tools are available for use.

Anyone needing help with library research is encouraged to ask for assistance at the Research Help Desk located in the Library Commons, or by email, text, IM, or phone:  http://www.radford.edu/content/library/research.html

Other Services

Hurlburt Hall Information and Event Planning Office

Located on the main floor of Hurlburt Hall, the Information and Event Planning Office is staffed by a manager and student assistants who can answer a variety of questions regarding student programming and reservations. These questions include scheduling organized activities in public, non-academic spaces on campus, entering them on the campus-wide student calendar, selling tickets for events sponsored by student organizations and all-campus programming groups and a lost and found. For additional assistance call (540) 831-5420.

I.D. Cards

Students must present I.D. cards to use certain campus facilities and services. I.D. card photographs are taken at orientation and at registration.

If a university I.D. card is lost or stolen, the student must contact the ID/RU Express Card Office (540) 831-5054 in Heth Hall for a replacement. The replacement fee of $15 is payable at the time the photograph is taken. If a university I.D. card is lost or stolen after 5 p.m. or during the weekend, the student must contact Campus Police at (540) 831-5500 to invalidate the I.D. card. Only the ID/RU Express Office may re-validate a university I.D. card. Lost I.D. cards may be deactivated 24 hours a day by visiting the RU Express website at www.radford.edu/~ru-exprs.

RU Express Card

Students may use their university I.D. card as a debit card (the RU Express card) by making an initial deposit of at least $25 in their card’s account. Purchases made with the card are limited to the card’s current balance, which can be increased by additional deposits and which declines with each purchase made with the card. The current balance is displayed after each transaction.

The RU Express card offers several types of accounts: Any meal plan account, the Food Dollars account, the Food Dollars Plus account and the RU Express account. The latter enables students to make purchases at a wide variety of campus locations, including the bookstore, food court, and vending and laundry machines and at a number of off-campus businesses. More information is available by contacting the ID/RU Express Office at ru-exprs@radford.edu, stopping by the office in Heth Hall (P.O. Box 6992) or visiting the RU Express website at www.radford.edu/ru-exprs.

Vending Services

Drink and snack machine refunds are available at the Hurlburt Hall Information and Event Planning Office, the Residence Life Office in the basement of Tyler Hall and the Dedmon Center main entrance. To report a malfunctioning machine, call (540) 831-6267 with the machine location and the nature of the problem.

Lost and Found

A lost and found service is provided at the Information and Event Planning Office on the main floor of Hurlburt Hall. For additional assistance, call (540) 831-5420.

Post Office

A U.S. Post Office is located in Dalton Hall. Boarding students receive mail in boxes provided at this location.