Jun 21, 2024  
2024-2025 Undergraduate Catalog 
2024-2025 Undergraduate Catalog

Campus Life


Student Involvement

Students are encouraged to develop social, cultural and creative interests and awareness by actively participating in all aspects of campus life. Student Involvement provides students with diverse out-of-the-classroom experiences including Hurlburt Student Center Game Room, Radford Student Programming and Campus Events (RSPaCE), 200+ clubs and organizations, student media, a leadership library and resources, and student employment opportunities. Full lists of campus activities for students can be found at www.radford.edu/ruinvolved. For further information check out the website at https://www.radford.edu/content/student-involvement/home.html, call (540) 831-5332 or stop by the main office Room 226 in “the Bonnie” Hurlburt Student Center.

Student Recreation and Wellness

Sports Clubs

Sports Clubs highlight the leadership skills and athletic talents of the Radford University student body. The Sports Clubs Program is designed to serve individual interests in different sports and recreation activities. The activities that the club sport teams provide range from very competitive to recreational and instructional. Currently there are 22 chartered sports clubs at Radford University. A full list of clubs can be found here: https://www.radford.edu/content/recreation/home/teamsports/sport-clubs.html


Intramurals are for everyone. A variety of individual and team sports/activities are offered, ranging from league competition to more informal tournaments and one-day events that are intended to appeal to the varied interests of the student community. Past intramurals have included dodge ball, volleyball, ping pong, flag football, softball, wallyball, billiards, soccer, basketball, frisbee, homerun derby and card tournaments.

Outdoor Programs

RU Outdoors is the adventure programming component of campus recreation that provides outdoor adventures, promotes healthy self-discovery, emphasizes respect and awareness for the natural resources and unlocks student leadership potential. Trips include hiking, backpacking, white water rafting, scuba diving, paddling, caving, mountain biking, skiing and climbing. All skill levels are accepted. For a low fee, instruction, technical equipment and transportation are provided. Students can even rent out equipment for their own outdoor adventure. For more information visit the Student Recreation and Wellness Center.

Fitness and Wellness

Our goal is to provide services, programs and events for the students to stay active, healthy, and have fun during their college experience. Whether it is taking a fitness/wellness class, working out in the weight room, working with a personal trainer, gaining insight into adopting healthy life style practices, etc. or just coming to the gym to have fun, we help provide you with high-quality, educational, and fun programs.

Recreation Facilities

Facilties include:

A 110,000 sf Student Recreation and Wellness Center that houses three wooden floor courts, a multi-purpose gym, racquetball courts, free weight area, cardio areas, three studios, spinning studio, classroom, outdoor programming equipment office and equipment checkout, and a fitness/wellness office/testing area.

The seven acre artificial turf Student Outdoor Recreation Complex features four intramural fields side by side that can be converted into a regulation size field for lacrosse, soccer, and football.  The complex also has an outdoor functional fitness gym and basketball and sand volleyball courts.

The two story climbing wall in Peters Hall is available for all skill level climbers.  In addition, students can be trained to belay for other climbers.

Intercollegiate Athletics

Radford University, a NCAA Division I member, currently participates in 19 varsity sports, 11 for women and eight for men. The sports include: men’s baseball, men’s and women’s basketball, men’s and women’s cross country, women’s field hockey, men’s and women’s golf, women’s swimming and diving, men’s and women’s soccer, men’s and women’s outdoor track, men’s and women’s indoor track, women’s softball, men’s and women’s tennis and women’s volleyball. The university offers athletic scholarship aid in all sports. The Dedmon Center, an athletic and convocation complex located across U.S. Route 11 (East Main Street) from the main campus, houses an arena with an eight-lane swimming pool, and a 1/6 mile jogging track which are available for student use during scheduled hours.

Outdoor facilities at the center include a jogging trail, 12 tennis courts, and the Patrick D. Cupp Memorial Stadium.

The stadium houses an eight-lane track and field surface, a soccer field, locker rooms, a press box, coaches’ offices and a concession area.

The Dedmon Center, an athletic and convocation complex located across U.S. Route 11 (East Main Street) from the main campus, houses an arena with an eight-lane swimming pool, and a 1/6 mile jogging track which are available for student use during scheduled hours.

Student Services

Student Connection Programs

New students at Radford University are supported by a variety of services provided by the Student Connection Programs.

Beginning with Quest, Radford University’s orientation program for new students and their parents, the office assists students with their transition from high school or other institutions. At Quest students will meet faculty, university staff and student leaders who will assist them in selecting courses for their first semester. They will also have the opportunity to interact with their fellow new students and become familiar with the many resources available at Radford University to help them achieve academic, social, and personal success during their first year at the institution. All new students, both freshmen and transfers, who are admitted for the fall semester are strongly encouraged to attend an orientation session during June or July. January enrollees must attend a session scheduled immediately prior to the first day of classes.

Student Connection Programs continues to support students in their transition to Radford University throughout their first year. Specifically, Student Connection Programs coordinates “UNIV 100 - Introduction to Higher Education .” This course utilizes faculty, staff and peer instructors to help new students find success during their first year and establish the groundwork for achieving a successful college career.

UNIV 100. Introduction to Higher Education. (1-2)
Prerequisites: First year students and/or first semester transfer students by permission.
UNIV 100 focuses on the skills, knowledge, and abilities that are needed to ensure a successful academic, personal, and social transition to Radford University. The course emphasizes personal reflection; active, discussion-based learning; and explorations of campus and community opportunities and resources.

Recognizing that some students will not immediately make a successful transition to RU, Student Connection Programs also coordinates an academic recovery course, “UNIV 150 - Achieving Academic Success ,” for new students on academic probation after their first semester of enrollment.

UNIV 150. Achieving Academic Success. (1)
Prerequisites: Cumulative GPA below 2.00 or entering Radford University academically at-risk or department approval.
Supports and develops students in academic recovery and academically at-risk students.  Using structured exercises, reading assignments, self-reflection, lectures, and classroom activities, students will establish and develop varying academic goals.  Students will learn, develop, and implement strategies to achieve personal and academic comprehension.  Depending on context, the course offers strategies either for students in initial stages of academic recovery or for those in continuing stages of academic recovery. Note(s): This course may be repeated for credit up to three times.

For more information, contact Student Connection Programs at (540) 831-2139, or visit Young Hall.

The Center for Career and Talent Development

The Center for Career and Talent Development helps students identify and pursue their unique career path through a process of self-discovery, career exploration and career related  professional development programming and internships. The Center for Career and Talent Development works directly with alumni and employers to facilitate networking, on-campus interviews and on-line recruiting opportunities, that will lead to internships and full-time employment.  

The Center for Career and Talent Development is located in Young Hall 415B. Visit the Center for Career and Talent Development website at https://www.radford.edu/content/career-services/home.html to make an appointment with your career advisor, access career resources, register for upcoming events, and to access a variety of internships and full-time employment opportunities.

Harvey Center for Learning and Writing

The Harvey Center for Learning and Writing, located on the fourth floor of the McConnell Library, is an all-inclusive academic support service open to the entire Radford University community and maintains Level 3 Certification status by the international College Reading and Learning Association. Students may make appointments for free tutoring in many subjects, such as math, statistics and science. Graduate and undergraduate English majors, who have experience as peer readers, work with students on writing assignments for all disciplines. Students can also receive assistance in basic study and test-taking strategies. The Harvey Center for Learning and Writing, tutoring staff, which includes undergraduate and graduate students, as well as professional tutors, receives extensive training. Inspired by a holistic approach to tutoring, tutors are trained to make referrals if they detect other issues at play in students’ lives. For more information, call the Harvey Center for Learning and Writing at (540) 831-7704 or visit their web site at https://www.radford.edu/content/harvey-center/home.html.

Military Resource Center

The Military Resource Center (MRC) recognizes and supports student veterans, active duty students, and dependent students as they navigate their collegiate experience. The MRC, located on the 4th floor of Russell Hall, collaborates with other offices on campus, and provides the home for military-affiliated students.

The MRC has been designated as a “Military Friendly School” and “Military Spouse Friendly School” by G.I. Jobs magazine since 2011 and Best for Vets: Colleges and Universities since 2014.

The MRC serves all veteran students and eligible dependents. The office provides advocacy for veterans and dependents, information and assistance with admission, registration processes, military transcript credit evaluation, as well as being the dedicated place where veteran students can study, connect with, and support each other.   

All veterans and eligible dependents are urged to consult with the MRC early in the Radford University admissions process for information about services. To maintain eligibility for VA education benefits, students must adhere to the policies and procedures for VA educational benefits as noted on the GI Bill website. Please call (540) 831-5002 for more information.

Off-campus/Commuter Student Services

The Dean of Students Office and Student Government Association Off-campus Student Council (OCSC) coordinate services for off-campus and commuter students. 

The following is a list of some of the services provided for off-campus students: the Housing Fair, liaison relationship with landlords and the community, and educational opportunities and information about living off-campus. Check the Dean of Students website www.radford.edu/dos for additional information about advocacy services and resources available on campus. 

“The Bonnie” Hurlburt Student Center and Heth Hall offer space for off-campus students to relax or study. In addition to “The Bonnie” and Heth, other areas, which provide for study and relaxation, are located in the McConnell Library. Meal plan options are available for off-campus students. For information about the plans, contact the ONE Card Office at (540) 831-5054 or by email at onecard@radford.edu.


Students may park motor vehicles, motorcycles and motorbikes in university parking lots if they have obtained a parking permit from the Parking Services Office located in Heth Hall. To purchase a parking permit, students can go online to OneCampus and then search for and click on the Manage Parking Account icon.  Then click on Parking under the Quick Links Tabs. The registration of a vehicle does not assure the registrant of a parking space. Detailed information regarding parking and traffic regulations may be obtained by contacting RU Parking Services (540) 831-6361 or online at www.radford.edu/content/parking-transportation/home or by email at parking@radford.edu.

Housing and Residential Life

Radford University has 15 residence halls and myriad university-operated apartments offering a variety of living options and themes for all student classifications, all are within walking distance of academic buildings, campus activities and downtown Radford. Residence Halls are furnished with a TV room, vending machines, kitchen, laundry room, recycling area and study lounge. Unless otherwise specified, halls are coed by suite with two rooms sharing one bathroom. Students taking nine or more credit hours are required to live on campus, though those who commute from home, are married, or are a veteran are able to apply for an exemption.  See the Boarding Policy section of the Residence Hall Policies for more information.

Off-Campus Housing

A substantial number of rooms and apartments for rent are available in the immediate vicinity of the campus for students who have met the requirements of the University Boarding Policy as outlined in Residence Hall Policies. Students living off campus may purchase meal plans and are encouraged to eat in the university dining halls. Several meal plans are available to off-campus students. (See Dining Services)

Center for Diversity and Inclusion

Radford University’s Center for Diversity and Inclusion (CDI) can be like a second home to many RU students. In CDI, we encourage and promote a deeper understanding and appreciation for individuals from all backgrounds. We collaborate with numerous groups, offices and organizations on campus and from the RU community to provide engaging social and educational programs aimed to create a multicultural environment and safe space – a safe home – for our students, faculty and staff.

A diverse University campus community is a necessary ingredient for creating the best possible environment for learning and providing our students with quality higher educational experiences.

Ways that CDI can serve as a resource or support:

  • Diversity Programming and Events
  • Student Group Advocacy
  • Student Group Advising and Training
  • Networking and Professional Development
  • Job and Internship opportunities
  • Academic and Matriculation Support
  • Computers and Printing available
  • Conference Meeting Room
  • Student Spaces (Lounge and Study areas)

At CDI, we support our campus student groups, which offer opportunities to learn about cultures and engage in leadership, networking and volunteerism. Student groups also are a place to cultivate lasting friendships.  A list of groups can be found at www.radford.edu/ruinvolved.

The Center for Diversity and Inclusion is a resource to all of the RU community, and we invite you to visit us in Heth Hall and introduce yourself. Our office provides a concentrated focus on the progress, success and concerns of underrepresented populations on RU’s campus, such as African American, Asian American, Hispanic/Latino American and Native American students. Additionally, in our office you will be able to find programming and resources for faith/ religion and LGBT community.

Visual and Performing Arts

Numerous cultural and educational activities are offered each year. Music, dance and theatre presentations enable students to attend, as well as participate in, various productions during the year. A full schedule of art exhibits is arranged and presented by the Radford University Art Museum. An all-campus student calendar at https://www.radford.edu/content/student-involvement/home/r-space.html provides students with up-to-date information on the upcoming major programs, theater, music and/or meeting times for clubs or organizations they are interested in.

Physical, Mental, and Learning Services

Center for Accessibility Services

We are committed to providing equal educational opportunities for all students.  The Center for Accessibility Services (CAS) serves and supports students, parents, and visitors seeking reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act. We are dedicated to the ongoing goal of access and inclusion for an individual to fully participate in the university experience. 

Students seeking academic accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act should register with the Center for Accessibility Services (CAS).  For information on how to receive services through the CAS, visit www.radford.edu/cas, email cas@radford.edu, or call (540) 831-6350.  Office hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Student Health Center

The Student Health Center is located on the ground floor of Moffett Hall. The center is equipped to provide diagnosis and treatment for most of the common health problems encountered by students. More serious medical situations are referred to a network of local specialists. Over-the-counter medications and a limited number of pharmaceuticals are available. Emergency medical care is available at the nearby Carilion New River Valley Medical Center. For more information about services, please visit www.radford.edu/~health/.

Students are encouraged to contact the Health Center regarding any special health concerns they bring to the university. Health information is confidential. Students must complete the Radford University Health Immunization Record Form prior to enrollment. Please note that meningitis, tetanus, hepatitis B, and two MMR injections are mandatory and must be included in the immunization record.

The Student Health Center has been accredited by the Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care, Inc. (AAAHC) since 1999. All medical staff are licensed by the state of Virginia and all providers are nationally certified.

Student Counseling Services

Student Counseling Services (SCS), located in Davis Hall, is a place where students can talk privately and confidentially about issues which are of concern to them. Students frequently seek assistance with issues such as stress, anxiety, depression, relationships, lack of motivation and family concerns. Counseling at the SCS is provided by licensed mental health professionals and one doctoral student. Services at the SCS are free to both undergraduate and graduate students at Radford University. SCS operates on a brief therapy model with limited sessions. Specific services at the SCS include:

  • Counseling: Individual personal counseling is offered for whatever concerns students may have. Groups are also provided dependent upon the need of students during that semester. Couples counseling is also available when indicated. Typical counseling topics include stress, anxiety, depression, sexuality, motivation, homesickness, body image issues, relationships, adjustment issues and other developmental concerns.
  • Consultation: Counselors can provide brief phone and in-person consultation services to students and faculty.
  • Psychiatric: Evaluations for medication and short term medication monitoring are provided by the SCS psychiatrist.

For an appointment or further information, view our website at www.radford.edu/counseling , stop by Davis Hall, or call (540) 831-5226 (540-831-1663 for RUC students) for Student Counseling Services.

Substance and Violence Education Support Services

Substance and Violence Education Support Services (SAVES) is dedicated to reducing negative consequences related to substance abuse and/or violence through campus wide initiatives that address these issues and promote student success. SAVES provides the following services:

  • Presentations, trainings, and educational resources on the topics of  substance abuse, sexual violence (sexual assault, dating and domestic violence, stalking, and harassment), and the Step Up Bystander Intervention program.
  • RU Aware Program: Education and brief counseling for Radford University alcohol and drug policy violations.
  • Support for students seeking resources for substance abuse.
  • Counseling, advocacy and support for sexual  violence survivors.
  • Consultations for students, parents, faculty and staff.
  • Peer Educators: A student group affiliated with the National BACCHUS and GAMMA Peer Education Network dedicated to raising awareness about student health issues.
  • LiveWell media campaign: Dedicated to fostering a healthy campus community by providing accurate information on health-related behaviors and encouraging healthy lifestyle choices.

For more information, students can visit the Davis Hall, SAVES website at https://www.radford.edu/content/saves/home.html, email saves@radford.edu or call (540) 831-5709.

Speech-Language-Hearing Clinic

The Speech-Language-Hearing Clinic, located in Waldron Hall, provides services for students, faculty and staff. Graduate students majoring in Communication Sciences and Disorders provide the services under the direct supervision of faculty members. Hearing evaluations and rehabilitation services for the hearing-impaired person are available. Speech and language evaluations and therapy are provided for persons with articulation, stuttering, voice, language, swallowing, cognition, or other communication problems. The services are free for Radford University students, faculty and dependents. Appointments may be made by calling (540) 831-7166 (V/TTY). You can reach us by e-mail at speech@radford.edu.  Additional information can be found on our website at https://www.radford.edu/content/wchs/home/cosd/our-clinic.html.

Dining Services

Dalton Dining Hall is the main “all you care to eat” style dining hall which offers a wide selection of foods at various stations. Some of the stations include Fresh Grille with burgers, hot sandwiches and fries, Market Carvery with entrees, vegetables and starches, and Menutainment which is an action station where food is prepared in front of the guests. Other options include a salad bar with composed salads and fresh fruit, made-to-order sandwiches, house-made pizzas, dessert bar, and beverage station. There is also a variety of healthy, vegetarian, vegan, sustainable, gluten-free, and sugar-free options made available to students.

The Terrace Shops Food Court in Dalton Hall features a variety of retail shops including 1910 Cafe, Papa John’s and Wendy’s. The options range from soup, sandwiches, and baked goods in 1910 Cafe; pizza from Papa John’s; and burgers, fries, and frosties from Wendy’s.

The Food Court in Hurlburt Hall has Chick-fil-A, Hissho Sushi, and Wild Greens. The options in these locations range from chicken nuggets and sandwiches at Chick-fil-A, sushi at Hissho Sushi, and custom-built salads in Wild Greens.

All dining locations on campus accept cash, food dollars, flex dollars, debit and credit cards, and RU Express. To learn more about RU Dining Services, visit the website at www.DineOnCampus.com/Radford.

Special Diets

To accommodate students with special dietary needs, a staff of dining professionals is always available to assist them. Any allergies or special diet requirements can be discussed in confidence. To make an appointment, call (540) 831-5351.

Meal Plans for Students

All residence hall students participate in a choice of meal plans including 15 meals per week, 19 meals per week, or Flex Plan. Meal plans for off-campus students include any of the on-campus meal plans or 65 meals per semester, 90 meals per semester or Flex Jr.  For more information regarding meal plan options, contact RU Dining Services at (540) 831-5351. Payment plan options are available for all meal plans through the RU Express Office in Heth Hall, on the web at https://www.radford.edu/content/one-card/home/meal-plans.html or they can be reached at (540) 831-5054.

Technology Services

Information Technology Services

Information Technology Services empowers and enables the campus community by providing computing and telecommunications services and support through major units, including Information Technology Infrastructure, Academic Technologies, Enterprise Systems, IT Project Management, Technology Support Services, Web Strategy and Interactive Media, Electronic Engineering and Communication Services, and Printing Services. Information Technology Services promotes effective stewardship of information assets and provides a secure, highly reliable technology infrastructure along with high‐quality, customer‐oriented services and support, so as to meet the ever changing needs of students, faculty and staff. It provides comprehensive computer and information technology support for the university and offers its students, faculty and staff a wide range of innovative technology resources in support of the university’s strategic plan. https://www.radford.edu/content/it/home.html

Computer Accounts for Accessing Radford University Technology Resources

Access to Radford University technology resources requires a university-issued account. All Radford University students receive an account while enrolled at the university. This account provides access to campus computers, email; MyRU, class registration and many other systems and resources from the MyRU Portal https://my.radford.edu.

Campus Network and Internet Connections

Radford University provides ubiquitous high-speed Internet and campus network connectivity throughout the campus. WiFi (802.11) access is available in classrooms, administrative buildings, dining facilities and residence halls. In addition to WiFi, all residence hall rooms are equipped with two Ethernet connections and a Cable TV connection.

Access to the full range of Radford University network services requires the use of a VPN connection. (https://webvpn.radford.edu).

Computing Purchases

The Radford University Bookstore offers discounted pricing for PC and Mac computers. In addition to hardware, Radford University has agreements in place to provide students with access to Microsoft Office and Anti-Virus software. Complete information on hardware recommendations and available software can be found on the Information Technology Services website.

Technology Support Services

Technology Support Services (TSS) provides one-stop support for students, faculty and staff. TSS offers phone-in and walk-in computer help desk services, repair for university-supported computer equipment, technology training and computer lab and classroom facilities. More information, including help desk hours and training offerings, is available on the Technology Support Services section of the DoIT website.

McConnell Library


John Preston McConnell Library is named for the first president of Radford University. The library supports and enhances the university’s academic programs by providing access to collections and instructional services for students and faculty. The library’s professional faculty and staff serve as a link between users and library resources and work to anticipate needs, provide state-of-the-art technologies and solicit feedback, which is integrated into McConnell’s user-centered services.


McConnell Library contains a growing collection of more than 808,643 titles, 1,457,197 volumes, including 395,843 e-books. The collection includes books, journals, newspapers, and other periodicals, online databases, CDs, DVDs, microforms, videotapes and other media. While our print holdings are apparent to anyone in the library, our have vast numbers of electronic resources is truly astonishing. More than 30 librarians and staff provide a variety of services, including reference and research assistance, instruction, outreach, interlibrary loan, archives, and access to and lending of materials.

University Archives and Special Collections are located on the 5th level and hold historical University records, including Board of Visitors’ documents and university-sponsored publications. Special collections include Virginia Iron Coal and Coke Company records, the personal library of U.S. Supreme Court Justice Arthur J. Goldberg, William C. and Bill Blizzard When Miners March Collection, and the Keystone Glass Slide Collection.

The library’s website at http://library.radford.edu is the gateway to a wide variety of online databases, full-text journals, e-books, poetry, music, and other materials, including the resources provided by the Virtual Library of Virginia (VIVA). The website links to the library catalog of books, media, and electronic resources.

Equipment, such as consumer grade flip-cams and audio recorders, as well as professional level HD video cameras and tripods are available at the Front Desk. Nonprint items, including DVDs, CDs, as well as playback and viewing equipment, are located on Level 4.

Materials not owned by the library can be borrowed, free of charge, through Interlibrary Loan. Requests can be submitted through the ILLiad system at https://illiad.radford.edu/illiad/; most articles are delivered electronically.


Library materials can be checked out at the Front Desk, which is on Level 3 near the entrance to the building. The Radford University I.D. card serves as the library card and must be presented in order to check out library materials. For more information on lending policies, see http://library.radford.edu/index.php/generated/services/circulation. Anyone needing help using the library or with library questions is encouraged to stop by the Front Desk, email frontdesk@radford.edu, call (540) 831-5364, text 5402680155; or send an IM via the McConnell website.

Reference and Research Assistance

The Reference/Instruction Services department, located on Level 3, offers a wide range of resources and services, including individualized research assistance and course-related instruction. Reference works and other general and specialized research tools are available for use. Two multimedia classrooms, A and B, are available for group library instruction. The George M. Harvey, Sr. Health Information Resource Center on Level 4 provides information resources, computers and group study space. Anyone needing help with library research is encouraged to ask for assistance at the Reference Desk, send an e-mail message to refdesk@radford.edu, call (540) 831-5696, text 5403070144, or send an IM via the McConnell website.

Computers, Printing, Scanning and Photocopying

There are over 100 public computers available in the library; most are located around the Research Help Desk and Commons area on Level 3, and the Harvey Center on Level 4 with additional workstations on every level. The two classrooms, A and B, serve as open computer labs when no library instruction classes are scheduled. Public scanners are located in the Commons on level 3. Radford students, faculty and staff are provided a printing allotment; after the allotment is used, printing can be paid for directly with RU Express. A photocopier is located on Level 3 and operates with coins or an RU I.D. card.

Special Services

The online catalog allows users to manage their accounts, renew and request materials, and view electronic course reserves. McConnell Library is wheelchair-accessible and offers services to students with disabilities, including reading machines, text enlargers, and personal assistance in locating and retrieving library materials.

Contact the Front Desk for assistance. Locking carrels are available for use by graduate and honors students engaged in research projects and may be reserved through the Library Administrative Office on Level 3. Six group study rooms for student use are located on Level 2, and two group media:scape rooms on level 3, and one group media:scape in the Harvey Classroom on level 4. Level 5 is maintained as a quiet study space.

For more information
Students should visit the website http://library.radford.edu/services/students.html to familiarize themselves with the information resources, facilities and services available.

Other Services

“The Bonnie” Hurlburt Student Center Information Desk

Located on the main floor of Hurlburt Student Center nicknamed “The Bonnie” in honor of former Dean of Students Bonnie Hurlburt, the Information and Event Planning Office is staffed by a manager and student assistants who can answer a variety of questions regarding events and reservations. These questions include scheduling organized activities in public, non-academic spaces on campus, entering them on the campus wide student calendar, selling tickets for events sponsored by student organizations and all-campus programming groups and a lost and found. The University’s Lost and Found is located at the Information Desk. For additional assistance call (540) 831-5420.

I.D. Cards

Students must present I.D. cards to use certain campus facilities or services and at any time as requested by a University Official. I.D. card photographs are taken at orientation and at registration. If a university I.D. card is lost or stolen, the student must contact the ID/RU ONE Card Office (540) 831-5054 in Heth Hall for a replacement. The replacement fee of $15 is payable at the time the new card is issued. If a university I.D. card is lost or stolen after 5 p.m. or during the weekend, the student may contact Campus Police at (540) 831-5500 to invalidate the I.D. card. Lost I.D. cards may also be deactivated 24 hours a day by visiting the RU ONE Card website at https://www.radford.edu/content/one-card/home.html and logging into the Manage Your Account feature. Only the ID/RU ONE Card Office may revalidate a university I.D. card.

ONE Card

Students may use their university I.D. card as a debit card (the RU ONE card) by making an initial deposit of at least $25 in their card’s account. Purchases made with the card are limited to the card’s current balance, which can be increased by additional deposits and which declines with each purchase made with the card. The current balance is displayed after each transaction.

The RU ONE card offers several types of accounts: Any meal plan account, the Food Dollars account (is only with the 15 or 19 Meal Plan), the Campus Cash account and the RU ONE Card account. The latter enables students to make purchases at a wide variety of campus locations, including the bookstore, food court, and vending and laundry machines and at a number of off-campus businesses.

More information is available by contacting the I.D./RU ONE Card Office at onecard@radford.edu, stopping by the office in Heth Hall (P.O. Box 6992) or visiting the RU ONE Card website at https://www.radford.edu/content/one-card/home.html.

Vending Services

Drink and snack machine refunds are available at the Hurlburt Student Center Information and Event Planning Office. Refunds can be claimed Monday through Friday between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. To report a malfunctioning machine, call (540) 831-6185 with the machine location and the nature of the problem.

Lost and Found

A lost and found service is provided at the desk on the main floor of “The Bonnie” Hurlburt Student Center. For additional assistance, call (540) 831-5420.

Post Office

A U.S. Post Office is located in Dalton Hall. Boarding students receive mail in boxes provided at this location.

Codes and Policies

Boarding Policy

Radford University believes that an important part of a student’s education is achieved within the group-living atmosphere maintained in its residence halls. The university therefore requires undergraduate students taking nine or more credit hours to live in a university residence hall for four semesters as outlined by the Boarding Policy in the Residence Hall Policies https://www.radford.edu/content/residence-life/home/housing-application/policies.html.

Student Conduct

All students are expected to become familiar with the contents of the Standards of Student Conduct and are responsible for acting in accordance with the policies contained therein. The Standards of Student Conduct are available online at https://www.radford.edu/content/dam/departments/administrative/policies/StudentAffairsPoliciesandProcedures/SA-PO-1300_StandardsofStudentConduct.pdf. A printed copy may be obtained at the Office of Student Standards and Conduct.

McGlothlin Center for Global Education and Engagement

The McGlothlin Center for Global Education and Engagement (MCGEE) serves as the central authority for all international-related initiatives at Radford University. All students, faculty and staff interested in pursuing any university-sponsored international experiences are required to contact the MCGEE prior to engaging in any activities.

The MCGEE is responsible for the following areas:


The MCGEE can be reached at:

Location: Cook Hall, Room 105
Phone: (540) 831-6200
Email: globaled@radford.edu
Web: https://www.radford.edu/international

International Admissions and Recruitment

For questions related to international admissions and recruitment (e.g. required paperwork, minimum English proficiency scores, financial documentation, etc.), please visit: International Admissions and Recruitment.

Education Abroad

For questions related to any type of educational experience abroad (e.g. study abroad opportunities, exchange programs, faculty-led programs, internships, teaching, research, study abroad scholarship, etc.), please visit: Education Abroad.

International Student and Scholar Services

For questions related to immigration matters (e.g. immigration paperwork, visas, etc.), please visit: International Student and Scholar Services.

The International Student Affairs Council (ISAC)

The International Student Affairs Council (ISAC), a branch of the Student Government Association, addresses international student concerns and issues. Additionally, ISAC plans and coordinates international-related activities and programs for the campus and community to facilitate understanding and appreciation of the rich variety of culture represented by our international student body.

Intensive English Program (IEP)

The Intensive English Program (IEP) is a unit of the McGlothlin Center for Global Education and Engagement and is responsible for providing English language education to those who need help. Some of the benefits of our IEP program include:

  • Three levels of instruction: Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced.
  • Conditional admission offered to those students seeking entrance into an academic program at Radford University. 
  • Small class sizes and individualized attention from teachers.
  • Tutoring available.
  • No minimum English requirement.

Conditional Admission

Prospective graduate and undergraduate international students who do not meet the minimum English requirement at Radford University may apply for conditional admission. Once in the IEP, students work toward meeting the English proficiency requirements needed for admission. When conditional requirements are met, students may transfer into the undergraduate or graduate program.

For additional questions related to the IEP (e.g. curriculum details, tutoring, etc.), please visit: Intensive English Program.

International Faculty Development Opportunities

The MCGEE supports its faculty in engaging on international initiatives of different backgrounds. Some examples of initiatives include, but are not limited to:

  • Establishing dual-degree, transfer-degree, exchange programs, and other academic collaborations.
  • Development of faculty-led and other study abroad programs.
  • Funding for international opportunities.
  • Assistance to apply to scholarly opportunities, such as Fulbright.

For additional questions related to the faculty opportunities, please visit: International Faculty Development Opportunities.

Passport Services

The MCGEE at Radford University is a certified U.S. Passport Acceptance Facility by the U.S. Department of State. As an acceptance facility, we offer passport services to first-time passport applicants from the Radford University community as well as the general public. Please note that while we are able to assist you with any questions regarding a passport renewal, we do not accept passport renewal applications. Renewal applications are done via mail directly with the U.S. Department of State.

While we are happy to receive any walk-ins, it is highly recommended to schedule an appointment. Alternatively, you may contact us at (540) 831-6200 or globaled@radford.edu to schedule an appointment. Applicants with appointments will be given priority over walk-ins. Individuals needing a passport-sized picture may get one at the MCGEE during their appointment.

For current passport requirements, please visit the U.S. Department of State’s passports website.

For other information about our passport services, please visit: Passport Services.