Rebecca F. McIntyre, DHA, MHSA, CCRP
Program Director, Assistant Professor
The Healthcare Administration program educates a diverse community of students who have varying levels of work experience. Consistent with the college’s mission to develop competent and ethical healthcare professionals, the Healthcare Administration program mission is to develop ethical and competent managers and leaders who are capable of facilitating change, thus improving the organization and delivery of healthcare services and, ultimately, enhancing the health status of communities they serve.
Graduates of the Healthcare Administration program will be sought by organizations because they have both the cognitive and affective competencies required to strategically manage and lead individuals, groups, organizations, and communities; as well as having the requisite academic background for advanced graduate study and to sustain life-long learning.
Successful graduates will become:
- Knowledgeable and skilled in general business management concepts and practices
- Effective managers within healthcare organizations that include complex competitive, regulatory, and legal environments
- Knowledgeable in a broad range of social, behavioral, and environmental factors that influence individual and population health in the U.S.
- Managers able to apply, integrate, and synthesize acquired knowledge and skills toward the resolution of practical managerial issues and problems
This program is designed for students interested in pursuing careers in healthcare leadership. You do not need a healthcare background to get started in this program.
To be considered for admission:
- Meet all admission requirements for Radford University Carilion. Incoming undergraduate students must have completed a core of selected high school or college courses, and recent high school graduates (within the past three years) should provide SAT or ACT scores (SAT Code 5099, ACT Code 4367). For additional general undergraduate requirements, please visit Undergraduate Admissions.)
- Submit the online Radford University Carilion Application.
- Submit official transcript(s) from all institutions – high school OR all higher education institution(s) to the admissions department. A minimum cumulative 2.5 GPA is required for admission, with at least a minimum cumulative 2.8 GPA preferred.
Current community college students may be admitted for the “2+2” format. Students begin the program at their community college with a two-year associate degree, and then transfer to Radford University Carilion to complete their remaining requirements for a bachelor’s degree. Students must take certain courses and electives at their community college to transfer into the program.
Each student will select one track from the following options. The Healthcare Administration program offers four tracks of specialization. 1.The Long- Term Care track offers student to option to complete a 400 hour internship and sit for licensure as a Nursing Home Administrator. 2. The Medical Practice Management Track offers students the option to complete a 120 hour internship. 3.The Healthcare Administration internship offers students the option to complete a 120 hour internship focused in a specialty area: human resources, finance, etc. 4. A capstone course is offered for those that would like to advance their educational degree and learn more about research or are unable to complete an internship due to work demands. Background checks and health records are required for all internships and some organizations require drug screens.
Several courses in the B.S. Healthcare Administration program are delivered in a synchronous, online format. Students must have a computer with webcam, headset, and microphone for online course participation.
Any student admitted to the program must maintain satisfactory progress and be considered in good academic standing to remain in the program. Satisfactory progress requires a minimum of a final grade of “C” or a “P” in all required professional and support courses.
Students must apply for graduation at least two semesters prior to expected graduation. The student must meet all College and program requirements to graduate.
Healthcare Administration, B.S. (R, A, L) - Radford University Carilion Site
Healthcare Organizational Management Minor