Aug 17, 2022
All requirements for the history major are outlined below. Among the requirements are 40 credit hours of Required Courses.
Core Curriculum Requirements (43-45 credits)
In College Core B , all majors in programs in the College of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences are required to pass a second course in Social and Behavioral Sciences; i.e., CHBS majors cannot fulfill College Core B requirements with a Health and Wellness course.
Required Courses (40 credits)
Other required History courses (exclusive of HIST 295 and HIST 495) (21 credits)
- 3 courses from Group A (United States)
- 2 courses from Group B (Europe)
- 2 courses from Group C (Africa, Asia, Latin America, Middle East)
(Students may not count any one course for more than one group)
Group B courses include:
- HIST 300 - The 20th Century World (A, B, C)
- HIST 302 - War in the Modern Age (A, B)
- HIST 303 - Studies in Military History (*) *
- HIST 304 - Environmental History (A, B, C) *
- HIST 306 - History of Women (*) *
- HIST 309 - Medieval Civilization (B)
- HIST 311 - Ancient Near East (B,C)
- HIST 333 - Ancient Greece and the Hellenistic World (B)
- HIST 334 - Roman Civilization (B)
- HIST 337 - English History to 1625 (B)
- HIST 338 - Modern British History (B)
- HIST 339 - Scotland and Ireland in the Modern Age (B)
- HIST 341 - Early Modern Europe (B)
- HIST 342 - Revolutionary Europe, 1789 to 1890 (B)
- HIST 343 - Europe Since 1890 (B)
- HIST 345 - Czarist Russia (B, C)
- HIST 346 - Soviet Russia (B, C)
- HIST 347 - Stalin and Stalinism (B, C)
- HIST 349 - Modern Germany: From Bismarck through Hitler (B)
- HIST 350 - Modern European Intellectual History (B)
- HIST 385 - Public History (*) *
- HIST 392 - Special Topics in History (*) *
- HIST 498 - Independent Study *
Completion of a senior writing project (to be completed as part of HIST 495 ).
B.A. Requirements (6-8 credits)
The Bachelor of Arts degree requires completion of the B.A. language requirements described here . History majors, particularly those planning graduate work in history, are strongly urged to pursue a B.A. degree.
To graduate with a major in History, a student must have a grade point average of 2.0 or higher in all courses taken with a HIST prefix. A grade of “C” or better is required in HIST 295 and HIST 495 .
Students wishing to teach History must declare a Social Science major. To strengthen credentials as a history teacher, students should consider a double major in both Social Science and History.
Students wishing to earn academic credit for an internship in history should consult with the Department of History’s Internship Coordinator.