Jun 20, 2019
All requirements for the history major are outlined below. Among the requirements are 39 credit hours of Required Courses.
Core Curriculum Requirements (43-45 credits)
In College Core B , all majors in programs in the College of Humanities and Behavioral Sciences are required to pass a second course in Social and Behavioral Sciences; i.e., CHBS majors cannot fulfill College Core B requirements with a Health and Wellness course.
Required Courses (39 credits)
Other required History courses (exclusive of HIST 295 and HIST 495) (21 credits)
- 3 courses from Group A (United States)
- 2 courses from Group B (Europe)
- 2 courses from Group C (Africa, Asia, Latin America, Middle East)
(Students may not count any one course for more than one group)
Completion of a senior writing project (to be completed as part of HIST 495 ).
B.S. Requirements (6-8 credits)
Candidates for the Bachelor of Science degree in history can choose to take six to eight hours beyond the Core Curriculum requirements in courses from one of the following areas:
- Mathematical Sciences: Mathematics (except 111, 112, 114, 116, 312) and Statistics, Information Technology
- Natural Sciences: Astronomy, Biology, Chemistry, Geology, Physics, Anthropological Science
Or, they can elect to take six to eight hours in one of the following disciplines:
- Geography and/or Geospatial Sciences (200- 400-level)
- Political Science (300- 400-level)
- Art (courses designated AH or MS only)
To graduate with a major in History, a student must have a grade point average of 2.0 or higher in all courses taken with a HIST prefix. A grade of “C” or better is required in HIST 295 and HIST 495 .
Students wishing to teach History should declare a Social Science major. To strengthen credentials as a history teacher, students should consider a double major in both Social Science and History.
Students wishing to earn academic credit for an internship in history should consult with the Office of Experiential Learning or the Department Chair.